Saturday, April 7, 2007

Really old UFO

Found these hiding with my Passover stuff. They were made WAY BACK WHEN, i.e. before children. Since oldest son is now 11.5, that means they probably date from spring 1994. This is confirmed by the label, which has a date of 3/94. Isn't is frightening what you find when you go stash diving? And how far back that stash dates?

This first picture is a matza cover. We have used it for the last 10 years or so, just once or twice a year, for Shabbos. The ends have been hanging, and I never got around to blocking it. So in a fit of efficiency, guess what I did today?

The final blocked size is 22"x20". Just love my blocking board! Good thing I knit all those lace shawls, I sure have plenty of T-pins around.

And then, while stash diving for the original ball of crochet cotton, this turned up -- its to be a bag to put the afikomen in during Seder. Since we've never hosted the seder, it has remained in an unfinished state..... My plans are to finish those two side seams tomorrow, and then have a totally finished object!


Finally, here's a little blue sock pin I made for Stitches 2004. Its knit in size 8 perle cotton on size 0000 (1.25 mm) knitting needles. It has my standard seamless short row toe and a short row heel as well. Its just a miniature version of the socks I usually make. A blue sock is the symbol used to identify other members of the KnitList.

2 comments:

AlisonH said...

Beautiful work. Just beautiful!

Joanne said...

Awesome matzah cover! Gorgeous work! My grandmother embroidered one for me (along with a Shabbes challah cover) when I was finishing college. She knew I'd use them. Well, the challah cover has been used basically once a week ever since, whenever I'm home. The matzah cover? I've done seders at my house three times, and I just burst with pride to whip out my grandmother's handwork. Use your newly blocked one in good health and I hope you enjoy that proud and happy holiday feeling! I love using handmade stuff for big holidays!