Monday, July 23, 2007

Knitting interruption

I have to confess -- I didn't do much knitting this weekend. But I did read all of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows! Fantastic book, such a talented writer. It was hard for me to keep all the details straight, I have no idea how she managed it, and then to bring it all to a coherent ending that didn't leave any major story lines hanging.... WOW!


So, last night it was back to the Mystery Stole 3, but it was quite late. I managed to do about 35 rows since the clue was released Friday morning. And I did do a few rows of the Michelle's Shawl while I played lifeguard and talked with my MIL. That pattern is finally starting to make sense to me, I don't need to refer to the paper all the time. Its about half of its final length. I'm kind of surprised at how long it seems to be taking, I thought it would just fly along. After all, its a much heavier yarn and a bigger needle than all the lace projects I've been doing lately. I will persist! Even though Alison graciously suggested that I could modify the pattern to do what seemed more intuitive. But as a challenge knitter, I just can't let go and do something else. I must master this pattern!


Friday afternoon, I took the kids to the local Build-a-Bear store in the mall. They took one look, and then each had to have an outfit for their bears. The bears came with us to the Harry Potter release party at the library. Notice their wands? I turned them with the boys on Friday afternoon, even used the drill press to put holes in the handles for the elastic to go through. A bit extreme, but I felt like a successful mother......


A bit of magic, and the string turns into beautiful things, right? Or perhaps its all part of the Mysteries... Wizards, knitting, Mystery Stoles.....

And a bit of detail on the latest socks. Not the greatest of pictures to show off the colors. Its not exactly what I imagined the yarn would be when I bought it. Thought more of 2-4 inches of each color, all blending, not these stripes. Oh well.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Arlene,

The shawl looks so pretty! Will you keep it for yourself! Glad you got to have a good reading weekend. Cute bears and socks too!