Tuesday, July 17, 2007

New challenge

Well, after finishing the Rona shawl AND the Moc Croc socks, I suddenly found myself with only the MS3 on the needles. Since that doesn't seem to require a full week's worth of knitting time, I had to find another project. So.....

The Michelle's Shawl from Alison Hyde's Wrapped in Comfort. In a mystery yarn I was bequeathed from my sister, who obtained it from someone else..... It's a yarn from the Czech Repulic called Pletaci prize MarLen. The contents read 80% bavlna (I'm guessing cotton), 10% viskoza (viscose?) and 10% akryl (acrylic?). Looks like each ball is 0.100kg (=100 grams), and I have 6 of them. Should be enough. No clue on the yardage.

Anyway, its a strange yarn. 3 distinct plies, just wound together. See:


One is like a boucle cotton, the next is a very white rayon, and the last is a thin beige shiny thread. Totals out to a bit over a worsted weight. I went up to a size 9 needle to compensate for the thick yarn.

And the shawl in progress:


I don't know who this is for. Usually I have someone in mind when I start a project, but I guess not knowing is in line with Alison's general rules for making things. The right person always comes along just as she finishes, and I'm going to choose to believe that this shawl will find the right person like that as well.

2 comments:

AlisonH said...

Oh cool! Have fun, and I'm looking forward to watching the progress!

Rosane said...

Hi Arlene,

I found your blog from one of the knitting lists, don't remember which.

Just wanted to say that your work is beautiful. And that maybe the right person for this shawl didn't show up yet, because she is you. :)

Take care,

Rosane.