Sunday, September 30, 2007

Reporting in...

Okay, its been a while, so I must report in on the knitting happenings around here:

First, DH surprised me yesterday by appearing from the basement with a replacement for the broken arm of my swift. One of the crosspieces snapped back in July or August at the center rivet, and the whole thing has been unusable since. It was so pitiful with the pieces dangling. Luckily we have a fully stocked workshop, so he and I were able to install the replacement piece, put a new holding wire at the top (the manufacturer had left nothing extra, so once we untwisted the original wire it had to be replaced), and put a new rivet in at the join. I reattached the bottom pieces with a piece of the wire instead of the twine that had been there. It should wear a lot better.

Next, I've been playing around with that really cute Knitting Needle bag from Knitting Daily. I started it with one yarn, then switched to some Lamb's Pride Worsted thats been hanging out in the stash. Ever go to the LYS and have a yarn call out to you because of the color? Well, this was one of those. Its in such a wonderful green. Not too bright, not too blue, just this wonder color. I had bought 2 skeins without anything really in mind. (Two was all they had) There was some vague notion of making the Mukluks from an Interweave magazine, but those really called for a lot more yarn. I just finished the first skein, and spit spliced on the second. I'm about 70% done, should finish in the next day or two. Then it will be off to the craft store to buy the knitting needles that will be glued in place as the bag frame. Or maybe I should haunt e-bay?

Finally, I'm waiting on the next pattern from Six_Sox KAL. Its going to be in a heavier DK weight, so I don't know if it will appeal. Depending on what it is, I may adapt it to a sock weight yarn. Tomorrow morning is the release.....

1 comment:

Karen said...

Hi! Interesting to read about your (maybe not so swift? - LOL) swift repair. I just had mine crash to the floor and break one of those exact some pieces. After fooling around trying to get the seller to help me get a piece for it, I got in touch with the manufacturer and they are sending a new piece (sadly, it is one of those "postage is way more than the part" things). If I want to fix it properly that top wire will have to come off as well. I might just tie the new one in the center instead of trying to get it riveted (I know what they are but our workshop does not extend that far). Reading about your success has me very encouraged - I have lots of yarn sitting around needing to be wound!